Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My thoughts on Seventh Seal...

OK-there's a lot to talk about with this one, so where to begin. First off let me just say this was a very very interesting movie, not only for it being in Swedish with English subtitles, but because it was an original work. Nowadays, this movie would not receive much attention, be considered boring, but really it is a beautiful movie with such moving scenes and symbols in it that people who see it tend to take it for granted. Next I want to touch upon what we were talking about in class today. Irina was right but she was also wrong. Death is in fact in the background during the scene (I went home and watched it on YouTube) but the commentator says he is kneeling, but that is the monk. So kudos to Irina for pointing out death, but kudos to Mr.Bennett for always being "right" ha ha ...but anyway back to the analysis of the film. When we were discussing in class today what our favorite scenes were, I realized I couldn't choose because each scene was so different yet so intriguing it was hard to pick one that really stood out. However, the scene with the flagellants really shocked me. I remember sitting in class and going what the hell is this! I was so freaked out by the scene, honestly maybe even a little frightened, but at the same time I was so interested in it I became wrapped up in the scene. All of the scenes in the movie seemed to have a lasting affect on you one way or another. I also like how the director has many references to God but then at the same time completely shuts them down. For instance one of the last scenes is when they are having "the last supper" before death comes for them. Also the Book of Revelation is used both at the very start of the film, and again towards the end, another indication of Religion but then you have the squire saying cynical and atheistic remarks about death and even death himself saying he knows nothing about the other side. The movie really leaves it to your digression of how you want to view it, because for me I saw a religious aspect but for others just the opposite is true.

2 comments:

  1. And thus its greatness is manifest. It speaks to us all. What more can we ask of a film?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being religious, I also saw the religious aspect. Very good point, on the "Last Supper." I did not realize that. Nice comments although I will state that it appears to me to be an empty robe in that cart, and possibly an allusion to Death but not Death itself. I don't think the actor playing Death or anyone is in the robe, it looks empty to me, which could be an allusion to the emptiness, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete